The average American throws away nearly 2 billion shopping bags each day. If all that is not reason enough to buy reusable shopping bags, the following article will tell you why.
Top Reasons To Purchase Reusable Grocery Shopping Bags
- It can take between 15-1000 years for an average bag to become compostable, depending on its environment. A typical environment for plastic bags causes them to sit for decades, or centuries, with minimal breakdown.
- Plastic bags cause death in many sea animals, including 100,000 turtles and 1 million birds. Animals might mistake floating bags for sea life to eat like plankton or jellyfish. The plastic clogs the animals’ digestive tract once they have eaten it. The animals often starve to death. Other animals might drown when they get caught in plastic bags.
- Recyclers will not accept plastic bags because they are costly. Only 2% of all plastic bags are recyclable according to the studies. The rest, which is often found in landfills or floating along the oceans, leach chemicals into the soil.
- Paper bags might seem like a better choice than paper bags. The United States takes down 14,000,000 trees each year to make pulp for paper bags.
- Paper bags create twice as much atmospheric pollution as plastic bags. Therefore, they are not a better alternative for the environment.
- Because of their lightness, plastic bags can be thrown away and not always end up in landfills. They can fly off and become litter on our beaches.
- Petroleum products are used in the production of plastic bags. These are non-renewable resources.
- Plastic bags are 10% of the trash that pollutes American beaches.
8 Advantages To Reusable Grocery Bags
Plastic and paper bags are not good for the planet. There are many great benefits to a reusable grocery bag.
- Cost-effective. They can be used for years and you won’t have to throw them out. They can be washed easily when they get dirty and you can keep using them.
- Reusable bags are durable and can be used for many shopping trips over the years. They are also lighter than plastic bags.
- Shopping incentives. You can bag with reusable bags and get discounts at many grocery stores. Over time, small savings can add up into big savings.
- Quicker bagging. Many consumers prefer reusable bags to plastic because they are easier to pack and hold their shape.
- Simple to carry. The hands are much more comfortable when carrying a reusable bag. There are no more cuts from plastic bag handles.
- No torn shopping bags. How many times are plastic bags used for shopping? Reusable bags can never be torn or split.
- Place your brand front and center for your customers. If you’re a business, your logo or contact information can be printed on custom-made grocery bags. This is a very effective marketing strategy because customers will use the bags for years. The price per item is lower the more reusable bags you buy. From a marketing perspective, it can be very cost-effective.
- Reusable shopping bags are available in a variety of materials, colors, and designs. Polypropylene, hemp, canvas, and hemp are the most popular materials for reusable bags. These bags are lightweight and can be machine washed, making them durable for years to come.
Grocery Shopping Bag Tips
Use specific bags. There are many types and styles of reusable bags. Some are strong and can be used for canned goods. Others are lighter and can be used for produce and meats.
Place bags in your car. Most people who own reusable bags forget to bring them to the shop. This is the biggest reason why they don’t use it. Keep them near you in the car so you can remember to bring your bags in.
Wash bags often. Reusable bags are susceptible to bacteria so be sure to wash them every other week.
Use bags for other purposes. A reusable shopping bag is great for books, beach supplies, and any other use that requires a sturdy bag.
You can make both an environmental and economic difference by purchasing reusable shopping bags.